The Loire Valley offers wines in Florida
In partnership with Sopexa and Vinamerica, the Chamber of Agriculture of the Loire Valley supports winemakers who want to meet with U.S. buyers. Sandrine Coulon of the Chamber of Agriculture of the Loire Valley presents one of the latest missions, which was held in May in South Florida.
e-Toile : Hello Sandrine Coulon, you are a Project manager for the Chamber of Agriculture in Pays de Loire. Can you describe the operations that you set up abroad?
- Sandrine Coulon : We offer about thirty operations supported by the region in partnership with organizations such as Sopexa and Ubifrance in different sectors (fruits and vegetables, sweet products, wine, horticulture, nutrition and health, wine and food big shows).
We are a small team of five people. You can find a description of it in the document below. Generally, between 20 and 25 operations are conducted by the team per year.
e-Toile : One of the last events took place in Florida. Which professionals did you contact in this area?
- Sandrine Coulon : To organize this type of event, we worked in partnership with Sopexa and Vinamerica.
They organized the event and proposed a dozen of appointments with buyers per company. Selected buyers or buyers who have answered positively to the meetings are mainly importers, local distributors and cruise passengers.
e-Toile : What do you see as the strengths of the wines of Pays de Loire on the American continent and more particularly in Florida?
- Sandrine Coulon: The strengths of the wines of Pays de Loire are many.
Being the third French largest wine region and first vineyard in France for still white wines, Loire Valley offers a variety of soils and microclimates which allows it to offer a range of wines and unique varietals in the world: Muscadet, Anjou , Saumur, Chinon, Bourgueil, Vouvray, Touraine, Sancerre, Pouilly ...
These are just a few of the many wines the Loire region offers. For more than two thousand years, the generous nature and the various reliefs that make up the territory have provided ideal conditions for local winemakers to produce a diverse range of exceptional wines, with a marked personality, guided by a constant quest for quality.
For Florida and North American territory, wine of Pays de Loire respond to each request as they can combine in any circumstances!
e-Toile : By coming to Miami, do you also target the Caribbean and/or Latin American market?
- Sandrine Coulon: I will not hide that we targeted Florida at first as our main market, but the main purpose is primarily for prime exporters to find the importer which will allow them to distribute their wines on the market.
For producers who already have an importer, the goal was to expand their network.
They should not restrict their business and on the contrary develop and find new markets. When everything is working out correctly, it is good to take advantage, especially if you have selected the right people!
- 70,000 hectares
- 4 million hectoliters produced
- 7000 farms
- 100 traders
- 24 cooperative wineries
- 69 Appellations of Origin
9 rue André-Brouard – CS 70510 – 49105 Angers Cedex 02
Tél _ +33 (0)2 41 18 60 17 – Mob +33(0)6 08 24 60 43
Article published on June 4, 2013.