"Proust Project Sarasota" : lectures, films and discussions to commemorate Proust’s work
- March 5 - LECTURE (7 pm, Mildred Sainer Pavilion - New College of Florida)
Opening remarks by Donal O’Shea, President of New College of Florida, followed by a presentation by William C. Carter, PhD, University of Alabama Birmingham. “Proust: A Centenary tribute”.
- March 7 - FILM SCREENING (2 pm, Geldbart Auditorium - Selby Public Library)
Screening of documentary Marcel Proust : A Writer’s Life. (USA, 60m, 1992). A discussion led by William C. Carter, PhD, co-producer of the film, will follow.
- March 8 - BOOK DISCUSSION (10 am, Conference Room - Alliance Française de Sarasota)
Alliance Française Book Club - Emile Langlois, PhD, Sweet Briar College, leads a book discussion in
French on “Combray” (Swann’s Way - section one). Registration required by calling: (941) 955-0700.
- March 9 - FILM SCREENING (2 pm, Geldbart Auditorium - Selby Public Library)
Screening of film adaptation of Swann’s Way starring Jeremy Irons and Ornella Muti. (France, 110m, 1984). A discussion led by Martine Benjamin, PhD, Princeton University, will follow.
- March 11 - BOOK DISCUSSION (10:30 am, Conference Room - Selby Public Library)
Cirque D’Book - Librarian Charlotte Thompson leads a book discussion group on Swann’s Way .
- March 12 - LECTURE (7 pm, Mildred Sainer Pavilion - New College of Florida)
Evelyne Bloch-Dano, PhD, Université Populaire de Caen.
“Madame Proust”. Lecture will be conducted in French. Book sale and signing will follow.
- March 15 — EXHIBITION 6 to 9pm
Marcel Proust made countless remarks and wrote opinions about the artistic life of his time and about artworks he admired.
At Stakenborg Fine Art exhibit you’ll see representative examples of works by Bonnard, Guys, Manet, Matisse, Ingres, Piranesi, Rembrandt, Turner, Whistler, and others.
At STAKENBORG FINE ART, 1545 Main Street, Sarasota, FL 34236
- March 19 - LECTURE (7 pm, Mildred Sainer Pavilion - New College of Florida)
David R. Ellison, PhD, University of Miami.
“Proust’s Reception in the Anglo American World”. Book sale ( A Reader’s Guide to Proust’s ‘In Search of Lost Time’) and signing will follow.
- March 26 - LECTURE (7 pm, Mildred Sainer Pavilion - New College of Florida)
Inge Wimmers, PhD, Brown University. “Proust, the Arts, and Neuroscience”.
Closing remarks by Elyane Dezon-Jones, PhD, Washington University in St. Louis. “Reading Proust Tomorrow”.
All programs are free and open to the public and are subject to cancellation or change without notice.
For more information, please visit: http://www.afsarasota.org/
Article published on March 5th, 2013